We can advise and help you in respect of:

  • Divorce & separation
  • Financial matters
  • Civil partnerships
  • Cohabitation rights
  • Pre-nuptial and post-nuptial agreements
  • Change of name

We always approach matters in a non-confrontational way and, where possible, will negotiate with the other party on your behalf to reach an agreement which is fair and legally binding.

  • Legal separation
    We will advise you of your options and, where required, preparation of a separation agreement or obtaining a judicial separation.
  • Divorce proceedings
    If you have made the decision to start divorce proceedings, we can assist on the steps including the statutory grounds available to you.  If your husband or wife has started the process, we can advise you on how to respond.
  • Financial Matters
    We will assist and advise you on how to get the best available settlement.  Where there is dispute we will advise on the best methods available to make a claim, should this be the most suitable way forward. For those coming out of a long marriage there is likely to be a family home and pensions as well as other property and financial investments in sole or joint names.  Private pensions, occupational pensions, state pensions will all need to be taken into account during divorce.  We can help obtain expert advice on these areas as well as other investment areas to ensure that those in retirement or approaching retirement are covered financially as best as possible in the future.
  • Civil Partnership
    A formal agreement is recommended for recording the assets that each party bring to the partnership. It, also, deals with dividing current and future assets.
  • Cohabitation rights
    This applies where couples live together or are about to live together without being married or registered as civil partners. A cohabitation agreement, sets out in detail who should pay rent, mortgage and bills. It, also, covers the practicalities of what would happen following a separation.
  • Pre-nuptial (before marriage) and post-nuptial agreements (after marriage)
    This records the assets brought into a marriage. Sometimes, one or more party has been married before or one party is wealthier than the other. It also covers how current and future assets are divided should the marriage come to an end.  This will, hopefully avoid future expensive, contested court proceedings. They are relatively common for couples of all backgrounds.  The agreements are not binding on the court but are persuasive so long as they are fair and address the needs of both parties and particularly any children
  • Change of name
    Whilst you cannot change a birth certificate you can change how you or a child is known by the authorities and organisations.  Usually this involves a Change of Name Deed rather than by deed poll.  For a child the consent of both parties is normally required.